Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Why do I do what I do?

Twelfth day of consecutive posting...this deserves a self high-five :)

Today's topic:
 How you found out about Blogger and why you made one :

I found out about Blogger from my fabulous friend, Lou Ann (her Blog is "It's Always Something Around Here")...I had been interested for a while but, it seemed like too much work for my poor A.D.D. addled brain. Then I was dealing with a lot of frustration with situations in my family...particularly the way certain people handled my brother who is an in-denial Alcoholic. As anyone who has a friend or loved one with an addiction knows...their sickness affects everyone they come in contact with on a daily basis. I had a good friend I could vent to. But, we drifted apart around Feb/March last year, when it was getting the worst. So, I had this need to vent and purge some of the feelings associated with my brother's sickness and thought a Blog would be ideal for that. Then, I second-guessed myself and decided against it because in my family we tend to keep things to ourselves...present a perfect face and family to the public. I know that's all part of the sickness and cycle. So, here I am :)

He is slowly coming to terms with the fact that he is actually an Alcoholic and cannot do it alone. He is seeking help in the near future. Not holding my breath because we have heard this promise many, many times before. This time seems different but, with an addict, you never know.

Thank you for reading. :)

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is going through this and we're hopeful. He tried the outpatient route and had some early success before a fall. It didn't take long after that fall for him to realize he still had a problem and needed to go beyond that and he's currently in a center. Last weekend was his first 4-hour furlough. He's got a long road ahead of him but he really seems like he's trying to learn and prepare for a life without alcohol. We're all praying and thinking good thoughts for him. I hope your brother finds the help he needs and starts that same path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've read my recovery blog right honey? Please do if you havent. www.bleedinginsanityagain.blogspot.com

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read some...about 3 or 4 recent posts. I was a little confused though, are you a recovering alcoholic? I know you're in Al-Anon which is for families/friends of Alcoholics. I just wasn't sure who in your life was. I have read a lot on Al-Anon and also been to meetings. I started attending an online group to get more info and knowledge for my son, who loves his Uncle very much and who also has been affected by his drinking.

    *hugs* back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh, I'm praying for your friend and his family. It's a nasty disease, and I hate it. He's lucky to have you as part of his support system. My brother tried the out-patient thing too, remember? That barely got off the ground. He's going in-patient this time...28 day program.

    ReplyDelete